CMU Silicon Valley Email
You will be notified when a CMU-SV Google Apps account has been created for you to access Silicon Valley resources, such as room reservations, schedule of classes (times and locations) and events, and tools for sharing and collaboration.We ask all community members to check their CMU-SV email every business day because Silicon Valley academic and administrative communications are sent there.
- For help with SV technical resources, e.g., email, IT, AV: email@example.com
- To report building issues: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regarding services provided by the main campus, e.g., Andrew: email@example.com
- General non-technical questions not specific to SV: Your home department.
Explanation regarding @sv.cmu.edu and @west.cmu.edu
- Whenever you have to enter both your CMU-SV email address and password on a page with a URL ending in
google.com(or, for server settings in an email app), you MUST use:
- BUT, we identify ourselves
and use that form everywhere else. ,
- There are two domain names associated with our campus.
- We were
butnow identify ourselves as
@sv.cmu.eduis an alias
;mail sent to either address goes to the same place.
west.cmu.edumay appear in URLs for Google-provided services.
Set up your Gmail messages to be from @sv.cmu.edu
- Log into your CMU-SV Gmail account at http://gmail.sv.cmu.edu/, which is a
- Remember that you need to use:
- If this is your initial log-in, you will be prompted to agree to some terms and to change your password.
- Remember that you need to use:
- Choose Settings (in the Gmail browser interface) from the Gear Wheel pull-down.
- Select the Accounts tab.
- In the Send mail as section, click Add another email address you own.
- For Email address, use:
- Uncheck the Treat as an alias checkbox.
- Click Next Step.
- The dialog box should
shouldbe added to Send mail as.
- Click the make default link to its right.
Forward your Andrew email to CMU-SV
Carnegie Mellon University affiliated members are given an Andrew ID and email account. (Andrew ID creation can lag by about a week for those who are not students.) Main campus communications (including course registration, HUB/Enrollment Services messages, graduation, and employment information) are addressed to your Andrew email account.
Your Andrew account is your gateway to the computing environment provided by Carnegie Mellon University main campus. Your account gives you access to email, network registration, Computing Services public clusters, and other resources. For more information about your Andrew account, visit http://www.cmu.edu/computing/accounts/
While at the Silicon Valley campus, we recommend that you forward your Andrew email to CMU-SV to avoid missing important communications from the main campus.
- Go to: http://emailtools.cmu.edu/
- Log in using your Andrew credentials.
- Click Mail Forwarding in the left navigation panel.
- In the Mail Forwarding center pane, enter in the Forwarded To textbox your address:
- Click Modify.
Google Apps for EducationGoogle Apps for Education is composed of a number of tools, including:
- Gmail as our primary communication tool
amongfaculty, staff andstudents.
- Drive (formerly, Docs) to share documents for simultaneous collaboration within small groups.
- Calendar for room reservations and class/meeting/event
- Voice and Hangouts are tools for immediate, quick communication (chat, voice, and video).
- Sites can be used to create websites with controlled access.
isGoogle's hybrid, combined implementation for mailing lists, web forums, and access lists.
Adobe Connect for Online Meetings and PresentationsAdobe Connect is an online meeting, collaboration
Remote conferencingWe want every meeting participant to have a good experience. If you plan on attending a meeting or a class session remotely, you need to have the proper tools. The top complaints from remote attendees
- Use a landline whenever possible. (Avoid Skype.)
- Use a headset.
- Learn how to mute your line.
- Do not use your laptop's internal microphone.
- Do not use a speakerphone.
If your peers tell you that they can't hear you, it is your responsibility to do whatever it takes to remedy the situation, which could include buying a different headset.