Become a software leader.
Since 2003, the Master of Science in Software Management (MSSM) program has been preparing product managers, entrepreneurs, and innovation-minded professionals to meet the rapidly-changing demands of the software industry. Develop a mix of technical, interpersonal, and management skills to succeed wherever software innovation is needed, from startups to international corporations.
This program is a distinctive, interdisciplinary master's degree offered by Carnegie Mellon University’s Integrated Innovation Institute, a joint initiative of the College of Engineering, Tepper School of Business, and the School of Design within the College of Fine Arts.
Join an alumni network of 400+ software innovators
The Software Management degree gives you the business skills you need in a technical company, the relevant parts of a management education to accelerate your career.
Learn More Today
View degree options on our Software Management page
Join an info session, offered both virtually and on-campus
Submit an inquiry for our admissions team to contact you
Why Software Management?
- Only CMU Silicon Valley program with part-time option that caters to the working professional
- Full-time program includes option for internship, providing real-world software experience in the heart of Silicon Valley
- Ideal program for current or aspiring product managers featuring an integrated curriculum of engineering (software) + business + design (UX/HCI)
- Degree with a rich 13-year history and more than 300 alumni based in Silicon Valley and globally, ideal for building your network
- Excellent opportunities for entrepreneurs, including start-up mentorship program VentureBridge (a university-wide program hosted by the Integrated Innovation Institute)