The Drone Club
- To promote safe, fun and educational use of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) by students, faculty and staff of CMU including:
- Building drones and their control systems,
- Learning how to fly and developing advanced flight skills,
- Experimenting with aerial sensing including aerial photography and videography,
- Integrating aerial systems into coursework, and
- Participating in UAS-related activities
- Learn to fly from seasoned pilots
- Build your own drone
- Experiment with aerial photography and videography
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/thedroneschool/
CMU-SV Coding Gym
We are a group of software engineers passionate about growth. We come together to solve coding challenges every week to learn, to teach, and to share. We are here to help students at every level become better at computer science fundamentals - algorithms and data structures.
- Perfect for interview preparation
- Students meet once or twice a week to solve coding problems
CMU-SV Wireless Innovators (Amateur Radio Club)
We are a group of students, staff
- We operate the W6CMU repeater (DMR mode, 443.8250 +5.0 MHz, Color Code 1, coordinated through NARCC)
- We do fun on-campus events like a fox hunt (transmitter hunt) and off campus such as the Radio Field Day
- Assist local communities through emergency communications drills and preparedness exercises
- Participate in amateur radio events and contests -- locally, nationally and internationally
Design Dojo (Product Design Club) is dedicated to helping students get relevant and practical software product design skills through hands-on workshops and interactive sessions. Our members would find a group of students who share a similar interest in design, feel more comfortable approaching design and design thinking in both school and work.
- User experience critique sessions
- Software whiteboard design sessions
- IDEO workshop learning group
- Industry Guest speakers
CMU Product Management Club (Silicon Valley Chapter)
Product Management is a discipline that is of growing interest to students looking to cross the boundaries of engineering and management. The PM Club will prepare future product managers and refine skills of students related to product management. The club will inform students about current developments in the product management discipline by inviting industry experts, academics and professionals from these areas to share their insight during club-sponsored events.
Many of the events will have active participation from both campuses, Silicon Valley and Pittsburgh. When possible, events will be broadcast to respective places maximizing the outreach to students across different disciplines. A diverse set of activities is planned as initiatives: interview tools workshops, speaker sessions, mock interviews, role-specific tech talks and much more. Events will be exclusive to Club Members. There is no club membership fee.
- Event with guest speaker, Catherine Fang, Senior Product Manager at LinkedIn; Topic: Product Management Interview Skills
- Event with guest speaker, Brian Gaspar, Head of Product Development and Innovation at SumTotal Systems; Topic: Product Innovation Skills
- Event with guest speaker, Divya Jain, Senior Technical Lead at Box; Topic: Product Management in Machine Learning
- Event with guest speaker, Francis Kurupacheril, Senior Director of Product Management at InFocus; Topic: Product Management Interview Tips and Traps
- Event with guest speaker, Mark Tan, Senior Product Manager at Amazon; Topic: UI/UX Skills
Women In Technology
We believe that women play an important role the technology industry; our goals for equality and understanding encompass everyone. WIT is absolutely open to students of all genders that are supportive of women in technology and believe in being their allies and empowering them!
- Ice cream social to celebrate being ranked fifth on a list of graduate engineering programs with the highest number of women enrolled by U.S. News & World Report
- Going to local WITI conferences together. We are proud to have Sheryl Root as a Hall of Fame Recipient
- Going to the Grace Hopper Conference
Student Activities Committee (Also known as THE FUN SQUAD)
To plan and participate in monthly student events in an effort to connect students to the campus and each other. Our goal is to have our positive attitudes and enthusiasm radiate throughout the campus in order to provide students with parties and events that create long-lasting memories and are just plain FUN!
- Star Wars Party- May the 4th be with YOU!
- Halloween Dance Party
- Diwali Dinner and Fashion Show
- Thanksgiving Potluck- Bring a taste of home to share
- End of Semester Holiday Party
- Welcome Week Parties
- Carnival West
- Lunar New Year Party
- We welcome new members and new ideas!
EGO (ECE Graduate Student Organization for ECE department)
The ECE Graduate Student Organization promotes networking, social, and professional development opportunities for CMU ECE graduate students.
- Monthly happy hours
- Qualifying exam info sessions
Win ECE (Women in ECE for ECE department)
WinECE is an organization dedicated to building a sense of community among the women in Electrical & Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. It is our mission to run social and educational programs for the women in ECE and to provide forums for sharing advice, experiences, and resources.
- Semester dinners
- Social/professional gatherings and workshops
- Outreach events
HKN (Honor Society for ECE Department)
The CMU student chapter of the national IEEE-ECE honor society. Sigma Chapter’s goal is to provide Carnegie Mellon ECE students with opportunities to meaningfully interact with faculty members, industry leaders, and their peers.
- Snack nights
- Social and networking events
- Volunteer initiatives
GOINI (Graduate Student Organization for INI department)
The Graduate Student Organization @ INI (GOINI) works with its members to instill an ideal blend of professional values and social networking skills in student life at the INI.
- San Francisco Bay Cruise & Picnic
- Bowling Night
- Space Bar Happy Hour
- Game Days
WINI (Women of INI for INI department)
Promote and celebrate gender and cultural equality and diversity, both within and beyond the INI. Events are primarily focussed in the following areas: service to the community, career development, and social events to bring the community together.
- WINI elevator speech event
- Second Harvest Foodbank - Food Drive
- WINI Reception for graduates
- Ice Cream Event with WINI and ECE to spread awareness of women's clubs on campus
- WINI 10th Anniversary Speaker Series: Dr. Jeannice Fairrer Samani - "Women Entrepreneurs: The Journey from Concept to Company"
- WINI Speaker Panel at Menlo College - WINI served as a panel discussion and talked with the students about careers in technology, combining business degrees with technology as the next step for Menlo students
- WINI Thank You Reception
- WINI 10 Year Anniversary Kick-Off Event