Instructor of Integrated Innovation
Carnegie Mellon University
Building 23 (MS 23-11)
Moffett Field, CA 94035
Catherine Fang is an entrepreneurial product leader who is passionate about building intelligent software products powering both social networking at large-scale and enterprise platforms. She has 18 years of product management, go-to-market strategy, and software development/architect experience managing products with globally distributed resources (U.S., UK, Hungary, India, China, Japan, Brazil, etc). Catherine specializes in areas including: machine learning-based social network content recommendations, global digital audience targeting strategy for content marketing and advertising, and audience look-alike modeling.
In addition to her role at the Integrated Innovation Institute, Catherine works as a Senior Product Manager for LinkedIn and is the co-founder and CEO of ECAdvisor, an educational platform for software product strategy consulting and personalized recommendations. Previously, she has worked in software and product roles at companies including Yahoo, BlueKai (acquired by Oracle), Sun Microsystem, and Stratify.
Areas of Interest
Product Management, Go-to-Market Strategy, Software Development/Architecture.
EducationB.S., Information Management, Peking University
M.S., Software Management, Carnegie Mellon University
Ph.D., Computer Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnic University
Patents & Awards
- U.S. Patent “Multi-Profile Tracking Identification of a Mobile User” in 2014 (US20140372224) - Methodology proposed to and partly adopted by industry standard organization “Interactive Advertising Bureau” (IAB), a standard org to conduct research and provide legal support for online advertising industry globally.
- U.S. Patent "Client Caching Identification Tracking" in 2014 (20140372225)
- U.S. defensive publication "A Mail Categorization System for Displaying Advertisements" in 2011 - View details
- U.S. patent "Advertising Exchange System to Share Online Audiences" in 2011 (US20110119128) - Implemented in Yahoo Global Advertising Exchange Platform serving 400+ US newspapers generating multi-million dollars revenue.
- Machine Learning System used to power 2012 Summer Olympic digital campaigns and Presidential Election digital campaigns.
- Cross-organization award on product innovation: Automated Advertising Inventory Classification, Yahoo, 2010-2011 - The solution was launched to Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Global News in production with positive impact to revenue.
- Company Tech Talk on Product innovation, Yahoo, 2009 - Audience Sharing from Incubation Idea to Revenue Generating Solution
CMU Silicon Valley supports the next generation at MVHacks
At MVHacks, Integrated Innovation students decode the path to tech careers for local teens.